/****   Pulsar V1.0 ****/

/* August 1996 */
/* Actually Feb 1997 by the time I got around to writing this */
 


This programme was written in a few evenings in May when I found 
myself with a bit of spare time.  Of course, since then I have 
been working far too hard and have not had time to implement all 
of the plans I had for it.

Thus I have decided to release it to an unsuspecting public, as 
is, and await feedback...if there are still any interested Midi 
users out there in Atari-land who would like to use a simple 
analogue-style riff sequencer.  

This programme is not public domain, but is Shareware.  If you use 
it, please send a postcard and say if you would be interested in 
Version 2, which will have multiple sequences, chaining and 
`interaction' between rows/sequences in musically interesting 
ways.  It may also feature lots of Midi control, and anything else 
that you can suggest.

The initial impetus came from a similar riff sequencer by Tim 
Wright (The Groove Analogue Sequencer Simulator, 1994) but which 
was written in STOS Basic, and from which the only way that I 
found to quit was to switch off the computer, which was rather 
annoying.  Also, Midi numbers were used in the display instead of 
note values.  However, thanks are due for providing the initial 
idea.  I had been *going to* write something similar for ages but 
hadn't gotten around to it.

/* IMPORTANT */ 
This programme is written using `Heat and serve C'  (Thanks very 
much for the wonderful public domain Sozobon and Heat and Serve C 
Compilers and libraries).  As I do not have overmuch documentation 
for this compiler and libraries, I could not get the mouse buttons 
to respond to left and/or right correctly... 

/**  so use LEFT button for decreasing a value,          **/
/**  and LEFT AND RIGHT TOGETHER to increase a value.    **/

Other than that, operation is straightforward and everything works 
pretty much as I hope you expect it will...Please report any bugs 
etc.  I do not have a multitasking system so have not tested it 
under Magic or on anything other than a basic 4Mb STE. If anybody 
wants to recompile on a different compiler or for Falcon etc then 
please get in touch.

Note values for each row can be entered from MIDI keyboard .. press 
any key on ST keyboard to cancel, ie enter "x" notes from keyboard
then cancel if you are not using all 16.

The "P" at the bottom right of each row is for program change numbers.
A program change is sent when the icon is selected.  This is a late
addition (Nov'96 ... a few more spare moments) but I can't remember at
the moment how finished this function is ... try it and see.

I don't think this prog should crash on you, but I only have STe 4Mb Mono
monitor running TOS 1.6.  



The other thing that you *must* do is to send 7.50 for a copy 
(professionally duplicated) of my cassette `Transient Excursions' 
(length 74 minutes, CRO2 etc.)  This features various recordings 
of mine from the last few years, some of which have also featured 
on a few soundtracks.  It does not feature the use of this riff 
sequencer, as in fact I do not usually use a sequencer very much.  
The music is very `visual' in nature, and is ideal for relaxing 
and for falling asleep to with interesting dreams.  It is not `New 
Age' (I prefer not to label it..there is only *Music*).  An 
earlier tape of mine was described by somebody who knew as `Eno 
meets Pink Floyd' (Cheers Dave!).


Cheques can be made payable to Neil Wakeling, or to Imagination 
Music. My address is:

neil@tuva.demon.co.uk

5 Railway Terrace, Aviemore, Inverness-shire, Scotland, PH22 1SA 

Feel free to upload/download/mail this folder containing 
pulsar.prg, pulsar.rsc and pulsar.txt, to wherever you wish.


Also note that if you live in the North of Scotland and wish to 
sell your Atari (and mono monitor ?), I *may* be interested in having
a few spare machines to connect into Midi loops etc. 

/** Other Software **/

I have written GEM software for controlling two (or more) 
slide projectors via associated hardware that I have designed.  
The prototype system works well, with full control from slow to 
instantaneous crossfades, etc.  Complete programmes can be built 
up, edited, etc and saved.  I also plan to build some Midi 
functionality into it so that sequencers etc could be triggered 
for complete AV control.  The prototype actually controls via the 
RS232 interface, so as to be independant of computer platform, but 
I will probably redesign to output through the cartridge port as 
this makes the design more stable.  Contact me if interested in 
taking this idea further.


NEW... February 1997
Azimuth: A small programme that calculates the fourth when any three 
variables are entered from azimuth, latitude, declination and horizon 
altitude.  This is useful for information about viewing all sorts of
heavenly bodies, calculating stone circle alignements with midwinter 
sun rise/set, etc.  I would be interested to develop it further if 
there is any interest.  The actual calculation it does so far would 
have been easier to do on a spreadsheet, I just fancied writing a prog 
to do it. 


Thanks for taking the time to read this,

Neil W.